By: Amy Juneau
Johanna of Harold Studio has been a resident of Arizona for many years. Arizona is home to 59 species of cacti. So, you can imagine, like most artists here, the desert landscape influenced her creative sensibilities. She now features cactus jewelry in her line, and specifically representing the saguaro variety.
Here are some fun facts about this cactus:
- Did you know the Saguaro Cactus Bloom is the state wildflower of Arizona? It grows blossoms in the spring and fruit in the summer.
- They grow branches (arms) and sometimes as many as 25 of them. However, saguaro grow quite slowly. A decade old cactus might only be between 1 and 2 inches tall.
- These cacti can grow to be between 40-60 feet in height (12-18m). During a wet season when a saguaro is completely hydrated, it can weigh between 3200-4800 pounds.
- Its home is primarily the Sonoran Desert of southern Arizona and western Mexico. However, you may find a few stragglers in southern California.
- The saguaro is not at present threatened or endangered. Arizona has stringent laws against harvesting or destroying this species.
- A saguaro can live to be between 150 and 200 years old.
Speaking of age, Harold Jewelry’s saguaro-themed necklaces are a great way to celebrate Arizona’s birthday on February 14th! It became a state on this day in 1928, which makes Arizona 106 years old.
Of course, Valentine’s Day takes place a few days before. If you’re looking for something unique, but not over-the-top jewelry-wise for your Valentine, and want to show you care, one of these cactus creations may be the perfect gift.
Cactus art, fashion and décor is sometimes perceived as kitsch, but Ingram has an eye for refinement, making her cactus necklace designs whimsical and chic. See them in the Harold Jewelry Collection.
If these designs have you feeling inspired, but want something that’s uniquely yours, Johanna Ingram also takes custom orders. If you have question about Harold Studio or Harold Jewelry, you can get more information here.